User menu

C.O.P.S. Arizona

Concerns of Police Survivors — Rebuilding Shattered Lives

Workers' compensation

Workers' compensation is a "no fault" system in which injured workers receive medical and compensation benefits no matter who causes the job-related accident. If an illness or injury is job-related, the injured worker (also known as a claimant or applicant) receives medical benefits and may receive temporary compensation, if eligibility requirements are met. In some cases, a claimant may also receive permanent compensation benefits and "job retraining." Workers' Compensation coverage is compulsory for employers in Arizona; however, waivers are permitted.

23-1021.01. Peace officers; fire fighters; employment status

A. A peace officer or fire fighter as defined in section 1-215 who is injured or killed while traveling directly to or from work as a peace officer shall be considered in the course and scope of employment solely for the purposes of eligibility for workers' compensation benefits, provided that the peace officer or fire fighter is not engaged in criminal activity.

B. Nothing in this section shall create any liability on the part of the peace officer's or fire fighter's employer for any civil damages occurring through the peace officer's or fire fighter's negligent or intentional conduct while traveling to or from work as a peace officer.

To receive workers' compensation benefits the surviving spouse must take the initiative and file a workers compensation claim through a workers' compensation attorney to receive any compensation. The determination as to whether the claim will be paid will be determined by the Workers' Compensation Appeals Board.

Contact the:

Industrial Commission
800 W. Washington Street
Phoenix, AZ 85007

Telephone (602) 542-4661

Arizona's State Compensation Fund oversees Workers' Compensation in the State.

Office: (800)231-1363

For specific information on pension or worker's compensation benefits, the survivor should contact the agency for whom the officer worked at the time of his death. For tuition waiver or Memorial information, the survivors should contact the Attorney General's Office as listed above. For private organizations, they should contact the organizations directly. They might also check with other fraternal or labor organization that is appropriate for further information on benefits.

Back to Top